Thursday, November 20, 2014

Today in human geo we started a movie called " Slumdog Millionaire " that goes along with our new chapter cultural geography. It is about the slums of Mumbai, which is quite awful. There was trash everywhere you looked and there was no "clean" place like we have in the United States. They also had to wash, bath, and drink unsanitary water. Which creates many diseases, which can kill many. Then learning that the size of their homes is about the size of my bedroom, makes me feel very thankful. Also, seeing what there schools were like makes me feel extremely grateful that I am able to go to John Carroll in a clean and safe environment. It makes me think about all of the things I take for granite. In the movie a teenage boy who was once an orphan goes on a huge TV show, where if you answer the question correctly you win money. This teenager has been the farthest contestant, and with that being said they think that he is cheating somehow. They feel this way because doctors and lawyers haven't even gotten this far in the game. Even though he is not cheating, he is tortured because they think he is. There police system is also very different, you see this in the movie when they torture him instead of just interrogating him. I can't wait to finish the movie and to see what happens to this poor teenage boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment